September 10, 2013

Circumcision





I have expressed myself previously on this matter and it raises its vile head from time to time. More recently, a colleague was happily discussing the violation of his baby boy and how he didn't even scream when he was violated. I didn't like to point out that baby boys often go into shock with such a barbaric practice. I know it has its advocates and I know that there are those who advocate it on hygiene grounds and I know that there are wimmin who feel it perfectly acceptable whilst beating their hairy breasts over female genital mutilation. (The term female circumcision was altered to dis-associate itself from a seemingly acceptable practice. Let's face it the term Female Genital Mutilation is much more powerful and serves the purpose much better. But I'm not about wimmins issues. There are far more people battling their inequalities and good luck to them.  Why do we not afford the term mutilation to baby boys? I just wondered as it is flesh being cut of an unconsenting human being. Surely that is mutilation? Of course it is. But we don't want to upset the sensibilities of some religious groups (jews). In fact in one case in the US they actually supported the mother of a 12 year old boy whose father had decided he wanted him mutilated as he had converted to judaism.  Fear of a backlash and legal challenge the jews supported the mother. God bless em.